Nancy Flanagan’s Career Highlights
- Thirty years in the classroom, teaching K-12 instrumental and vocal music, mathematics, academic support.
- Michigan Teacher of the Year, 1993
- National Board Certified Teacher (Early Adolescence Generalist, 1998).
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards:
- Music Certificate Development Team (1999-2000)
- Teacher in Residence (2001-2003)
- Co-creator and Trainer, NBPTS Candidate Support Program (2004-2008)
Co-founder and Executive Committee, Network of Michigan Educators
Michigan Education Association
- Consultant, Professional Development & Human Relations
- Workshops: Teacher Leadership,
Led virtual learning communities:
- Moderated first USDOE State Teachers of the Year Listserv (1995-2000)
- E-mentored novice and alternative-certification teachers for three universities, an education nonprofit, a major national corporation supporting career-change teachers and a state teachers' association
- Supported Candidates for National Board Certification and Take One!
- Coached National Board Certified Teachers leading site-based professional learning projects: online professional learning, math/science, education policy
- Co-created, piloted innovative course: leading virtual communities in education
Co-creator and facilitator, Teacher as a Change Agent course, VA Commonwealth University
Doctoral candidate and research assistant in education policy
Numerous publications, articles, blogs on education-related topics
Presentations and workshops
- Standards-based learning
- Integrated curriculum
- Non-traditional Music Education
- Teacher Leadership, Teacher as Change Agent, The Teacher Voice in Policy
- Building Teacher Leadership through 21st Century Media
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
A Conversation with Nancy Flanagan (Collaborative Leadership in Education Podcasts)
Presentations & Keynotes
Virginia Commonwealth University, Teacher as Change Agent course: Co-creator, facilitator.
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Candidate Support Provider Training: Co-creator, facilitator.
On Teacher Leadership
On Policy Issues
Technology and Teaching
A Resource Guide for National Board Networks
Class Size: What Works Best?
Measuring What Matters: The Effects of National Board Certification on Advancing 21st Century Teaching and Learning
Teachers and Performance Pay
On Practice Issues
Nancy Flanagan: firstname.lastname@example.org